Saturday, August 25, 2012

Engagement Day - 04/03/12


4th March 2012~

A day marked in my life's chapter. I got engaged to Haikal, my one and only love. It was a memorable one sweet day, a day that I would never forget my whole life. 

In my customs, engagement occasion is not an event where the man propose and attach a ring to his lover's finger and that's that. That is the customs most western people practice. 

In my custom, the family from the man's side will come to ask for the woman's hand in marriage and the mother of the man will attach the ring to the woman's finger. And after that there will be food and refreshments. During this occasion, both sides will discuss on the upcoming wedding, be it setting the right date, place, and everything up to the matter of funding for the wedding ceremony. 

My engagement was held at my mom's place, as I am still living with my mom before I am legally married. Most people in my custom will just make an engagement ceremony at home unless it's a wedding, then we'll need a bigger venue. 

My whole family were there except dad. 15 years being divorced to my mom, he felt awkward to join the occasion. But I seriously don't mind about it, I thought just as long as he's gonna be there at my wedding, that's all that matters. Because in my customs, a lady can't get married legally without her father unless the father is deceased. That's when she needs to refer to the list of people replacing the father. 

So anyway, back to the story, on that day my sister-in-law; Sis Liza was my make-up helper. Seriously I did my own make up for this occasion, and I thought there is no need to waste money on that department when you can do it yourself. After all, it's just an engagement occasion.

I am a very simple person & and I don't put on make-ups that often, and if I do, I will just make it light and simple. But for special occasions, I will make it more visible but neat. Most importantly we don't let our natural beauty lose.

So here are the things I use:-

1) Liquid foundation & cotton wool to pat the liquid on my face
2) Concealer - It's a must, to cover any scars 
3) Lipstick & lip gloss - Lip gloss is able to moisture your lips so it won't look chapped.
4) Fake eyelashes - If you dont have thick natural eyelashes.
5) Mascara & eyelashes curler - Only if you are not wearing fake eyelashes, as those are already thick and heavy
6) Blusher - for your cheeks to appear rosy and sweet
7) Eye shadows

Basically I bought those affordable brands from Silky Girl which costed me just around RM60. I opt for an affordable brands as I know I'm not using it that often. And I bought these stuffs from the everyday local malls we go in Ampang.  I thought it wasn't necessary to freak out like certain girls.. In fact, nowadays we have Youtube to help us. Just write whatever tutorials you want and they will provide you with the answer.


I also did my own veil, and attached a wire comb to it, all on my own, thanks to Youtube :-) I bought a ready made veil from Semua House, Kuala Lumpur & bought a separate wire comb to attach it together so that it will stay in place on my hair. If you are confuse, Youtube it :-)

I started doing my make-up by rubbing an ice cube slowly to my whole face to soften the skin; a method which Mr.Youtube taught me. After I had done 
with the base make-up, Sis Liza helped me for the finishing touch. I know I'm not that pretty but I was very happy with the result.


The event started at 2pm but being overly excited, I got ready a bit earlier. For the engagement dress, I decided buy my religion's traditional clothes called 'Baju Kurung' and it costed me just about RM200. I know that was quite costly but I thought I'm going to reuse again for Hari Raya this year; my religion festive day. I bought this from Ampang Park Shopping Mall in the heart of Kuala Lumpur.

As for the food preparations for the guests, I gave my mom around RM150 and asked her to buy 'Nasi Beriyani' from an Indian Muslim's restaurant nearby our house. My mom helped a bit for drinks and other malay snacks. Our guests were not that big, just around 20 people altogether :-) Total cost for this occasion is not more than RM1500, which is quite realistic :-)

So I stayed in my room half of the event, and only came out to show myself to the guests during the ring-attachment time. My future mother-in-law put on the ring to my finger and that was the moment I am officially engaged :-) I went back inside my room. My fiance reached the house and joined us for the photo sessions. Here are some of the photos taken during the event. Enjoy! ;-)

Me and my fiance
My future mother-in-law attached the ring to my finger
The view inside my house during the ceremony
The Ring, which my fiance bought from Poh Kong Jewellery Outlet
An engagement cake for my fiance

My future 'Pengapit' :-)

No comments: