Friday, March 8, 2013

American Idol 2013 ~ Semifinals Top 10 guys

First of all, you might notice that I skipped writing on 'Sudden Death' round for guys part 2. Reason being, I am not interested to update on that.. This year, I am far more interested in female contestants than I am in the guys. However, there are 3 guy contestants who I think are strong contenders in this competition; Devin Velez, Curtis Finch Jr & Burnell Taylor.

Last week's sudden death round for guys were so boring, I didnt even finish watching the show.

Tonight, I was very surprised that the show has already got to the guys semifinal. I thought girls should always take the turn first. And I was very upset to realise that I'd missed the girls part, it was on the show yesterday 6th March! (In Malaysia the show will be aired fresh every Thursdays & Fridays, so the girl's part was on Wednesday - I know in US it was on Tuesday)

Before I go further, let's find out who stays during the sudden death round for guys part 2 -

1) Vincent Powel (If given a good song that match with his voice, he could be among the best)
2) Nick Boddington (boring)
3) Burnell Taylor
4) Lazaro Arbos
5) Cortez Shaw

My favorite in the list above would be Burnell Taylor. I've always rooting for him to go through every stages. He has such an incredible talent and it's so original. His voice, his signature way of singing - hand movements, facial expressions and tones, are absolutely flawless.

I need some time to catch up with the semifinals girl part in Youtube before I update about it, so let's continue with semifinals guys first.

So Here's a recap on Guys Semifinals:-

Elijah Liu - He chose to sing "Stay" by Rihanna. I thought it didn't challenge his vocal, and it made him sounds flat. To me, his voice is easily recognizable, which is good for him, but some where in there, it is lack of effort. He is playing safe with the competition and I've never seen him doing an outstanding performance, not even once.

It was definitely better than the sudden death round, but to me, it was still nothing special. It is such a beautiful song & this was such a great opportunity for him to play with his vocal but he chose to sing it this way, which was plain and easy.

Cortez Shaw - He got a good vocal but tonight I thought he was overdoing the song that he chose - "Lock Out of Heaven" By Bruno Mars. The song's beats are very catchy, and of course, he started to dance and move his body but they didn't look right, like he was overdoing everything, including the vocal towards the end of the song. The song that is supposed to be catchy is turning to be an R&B song the way he sang it. He didn't do justice to Bruno Mars, sorry :-(


Charlie Askew -I dont even know how to comment about him. I think you guys are aware that I don't fancy him at all. To me, his karaoke&theater-like performance will always be shaky and unconvincing. The way I see it, he is an attention-seeker. And with his weak performance singing"Mama", I don't think he can survive any longer in this competition. In theater show, yes, he could aced it.


Nick Boddington - Chose a very beautiful song, which is my all-time favorite, "Iris" By Goo-goo dolls. Did he realized that Goo-goo dolls has 1Million times nicer vocal than him? Just saying... :-)
So it was brave of him to choose this song. I just can't comment on his performance cos nobody could compete Goo-goo dolls in this. Although he sounds nice but it was a bit boring & after he shaved his head, he reminds me of the gay Lance Bass of Nsync... His boy band-like appearance and vocal, are one of those which wont leave much of an impact to the audience. Let's see if I'm wrong.


Burnell Taylor - He sang the same song which he performed during the audition which was "I'm Here", it was brilliant. Like I said, I opt for him to win, apart from Angie Miller and Devin Velez.
(Kree now is no longer my favorite) All the things about him just scream original. I am impressed a lot that he lost many weights and I love the new him wayyyy better. My heart goes for him for no reason, I just feel like he's so serious to win this competition.

Paul Jolley - He is good vocally, his appearance is quite pleasant, but I dont know why I am not really attracted to him. To me, he doesn't have that 'X-factor' in him.. But I dont know if Im wrong. Let's just see. (To be honest, I didnt watch his performance last night and just watch it now for the sake of updating this episode.. HEHEHE)


Lazaro Arbos - He really impresses me every time he sings. He doesn't stutter at all when he sings, it is so beautiful to watch such talent. He is so adorable and vocally, he is quite good. Although he has a good talent, to me, there are many other contestants who are much stronger than him... Let's see what America thinks. Last night he sang my favorite "Feeling Good" By Michael Buble and I thought it was beautiful, although he could do much better. He deserves a chance to show more of him.
Curtis Finch Jr - Sang "I believe I can fly" By R.Kelly. It was beyond amazing. Like I said, he should made a record by now. He doesnt need American Idol.... Are you with me now? ;-)

Devin Velez - He chose to sing 'It's impossible' (Somos Novios), a mixture of English & Spanish song. It was really incredible, I keep on playing the song over and over again every day. His vocal is beyond amazing. Like the previous performance singing "Listen" By Beyonce in a mixture of English & Spanish, he pulled it off again tonight. Like Nicki Minaj said, he should stay doing what he's doing now, and I totally agree with her. I teared up listening to this... Pure perfection....

Vincent Powel - He got a strong vocal, but I dont really fancy him. I didnt watch the performance, sorry :( Although he got a good voice, to me, he is easily forgettable. Sorry Vincent's fans,. I am being honest...

Tomorrow, we will got to know the result... I'll definitely update about it later! I am rooting for Burnell Taylor, Devin Velez, Curtis Finch Jr and Angie Miller. I hope either 1 of this contestant will win the competition.



No comments: